"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Peanut butter, the sun & a blister

I'm trudging along with my running plan, albeit a missed day here & there due to this annoying thing called work {and spring break}. My schedule gets all crazy when I work later then usual or when I have all the kids home from school. My 7 y/o is high maintenance & demands to know how far I'm running, when I'm coming home, if I'm not home by a certain time should she ride her bike to come find me? make sure I leave a map of my run, etc, etc. So exhausting.

It's been pretty hot outside already and I have an issue with running in heat. Vegas is NOT the town for me to be in if heat is an issue! Ugh! I have to try to get myself up in the mornings again and run before the sun is fully up, but I'm so not a morning person! My body does not cooperate before 10. I've been trying to find foods I can eat before (and during) my runs to help keep my energy up, but if there one thing I seriously lack, it's my nutrition. My husband is a big fan of peanut butter before a race or long run and has urged me to try it on whole wheat toast and blogs I've read say the same thing. I've tried it before and it didn't sit well with me but I thought maybe it's because I didn't give it enough time to digest. I tried it again the other day. I ate it on toast and waited an hour and a half before running...and threw up on the side of the road. Not to mention, it was hot outside too. Yuck. I felt better after it came up, but decided that maybe PB is not the answer for me. I tried a Clif gel last week and it sat fine in my stomach, so I will have to try that again. I sure could have used it today!
I had my long run of the week and did 6 miles. Never ran more than 5.2 before and I did a lot better than I thought I would. Half way through my run, I could feel what I thought was my sock bunching up under my toes but it couldn't be that simple....got a big blister on one of my toes :/ Never had that happen before...is this my right of passage??? LOL! So it looks like I got a lot of little kinks to work out in my running world, but I'm gettin' there...even if it's in baby steps :)