"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 1: Pretty good

My body woke me up this morning at 4am. WTH? I could not fall back asleep try as I might, so I finally dragged myself out of bed at 5am, looked around on Facebook for a bit (it's boring at 5am, by the way...all the normal people are still sleeping), tried to lay down again but my bedroom smelled like sewage (alright, who had gas?!) so I decided it was now or never.......go for the damn run! I said I would start today, so I had better get my butt in gear before I change my mind. Got my water, my hat, chap-stick on (with SPF for my delicate kissers!), and my ipod. Crap! Freakin' ipod is dead! Damn it, now I'm mad! What ever. I'm going to use this time by myself to reflect on life's beauty. Uhhh, riiiiight. I'm using this time to concentrate on my ragged breathing so I don't give myself an aneurysm while I'm running up the hill that I live on. I don't know if I have mentioned this in any of my 2 previous posts, but I hate running. It's stupid! So, on my run, I'm thinking about all the articles I've been reading on "pushing past your mental roadblocks", I thought about my husband running up the hill the last time we did it.....he ran up it like a stupid gazelle, like it was so easy. I'd shoot that smug gazelle and make it into a coat if I could! My GOOD-inner voice was saying "Come on! You can do it! Just run to the stop sign, not much longer! You're so great! You got this!" My BAD-inner voice said to "F off! This sucks!" I let the bad side win for a bit, then I had a change of mindset and was able to run probably 2.90 miles...walked about .10 of it but in tiny increments. Only allowed myself about 10 steps of walking then would force my body to push through. Then I let myself into my house & collapsed onto my couch in a run-induced coma for 11 minutes, grateful no one in my family was up yet to witness this pathetic display of gratitude to be done with today's run. Where the hell is my "runner's high"???!?

All in all, this run was SO much better this time around then the last time I did the same route. It was blistering hot at 6:27am, so I guess I should try 6:00am next time (tomorrow?) Hopefully my calves are OK in the morning. Hubby was sleeping when I went for my run so I didn't get to tape the shins {crossing my fingers!}. I think I will stick with 3 miles this whole week, then shoot to go for 4 next week. Whatever. I can't go farther then I'm comfortable with, but maybe if hubby runs with me, I will feel more motivated to go longer...as long as he doesn't do that easy stride, smug face gazelle look! :)

PS- Happy Birthday to my beautiful "baby" girl, who is 7 today! I Love you!!