"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

Monday, July 4, 2011

Seattle Half











Ok...I'm ready to talk about my Half. It's taken me a week or so to contemplate what went wrong, but I'm over it, so now I can write about it. Fact of the matter is, I was not prepared. I hadn't run in a month prior to the race, so I have no idea why I even had any expectations. I lost my motivation and I was too busy moving my husband's office to a new location and frankly, running was the last thing on my mind. We arrived in Seattle 3 days before the race & did the tourist thing for 2 full days prior. I was not nervous, not excited, nothing....I just wanted to get it done. Come race morning, I was fine until we got there then my stomach started to hurt. Bad. I was waaaaaaaay back in corral 33 (out of 40-ish. Sad.) But still, would have LIKED to be done in 2.5 hours. I don't think my corral even started the race until like 45 minutes after the starting shot. I did good (decent) , steady, decent time up until about mile 8.5....then my stomach issues started back up. I had to stop for the potty @ Mile 9. After that, things went downhill (no pun intended). My left foot & right knee were in agony. And once you stop, good luck starting back up!! I was hurting and fading fast. I was starving & Gu just wasn't cuttin' it! I was done. I spent the next VERY long 4 miles at a jog/walk pace until the end. I was over it. Got my medal and decided that I would never do another Half again. I did not enjoy it, my body hurt & I could barely walk for 2 days after. Not fun. I think this has helped me get it out of my system, said I've done it and I think I will stick to 10 K's from now on. My journey is over. I started as a wimpy runner, and I've ended no better...but I did what I set out to do.. Not well, but accomplished. So, this ends my blog, this ends my desire to be a better runner...I will do it on my own time, in my own pace. A runner I will never be...more like "recreational jogger" ;) Thanks for sharing this roller coaster ride with me and giving me support when I felt like I could not go on. Next on my agenda is a midnight run in the middle of nowhere in Rachel, NV....6.2 miles and not a single step more :)








xoxo