"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Are you a runner...?"

I was sitting at my daughter's dance class the other day, thumbing through a copy of the latest Runner's World magazine when a mom next to me asked me that question.
"Are you a runner?"
"uhhhhh......" was my reply. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know WHAT to say. AM I a runner? Do I run? Sure. Slowly. Does that matter? Then I expanded my answer to her as she stared at me expectantly, probably thinking what a dumb-ass I was for not even knowing if I'm a runner. I told her "I'm TRYING to be a runner. Meaning I haven't done a whole lot except for a few fun races and a relay." I left it at that....but I find that "conversation" running through my head {no pun intended} on my runs. When I think of a runner, I think of my husband...or Dean Karnazes {ohhh...hubby will be thrilled that I think of him in the same context of D.K. LOL!}, but me...?? Never. That blows. I put a lot of hard work into trying to be a better runner, so dammit, I should be proud to say that "YES! I'm a runner!" I just feel lame. Maybe after my 1st Half Marathon in June I will feel different. :/



In other news, remind me to never attempt to go for a run when I'm not feeling well. I caught my husband's head cold and feel like a big pile of poo. My head was so stuffy today I thought it would explode...yet I thought if I went for a 3.5 mile run, it would help clear it. Between stopping to blow my nose every 25 steps and not having enough oxygen supply in my lungs to be able to take adequate breaths, I could only go 2 miles (barely) before I thought I was going to die. My head had so much built up pressure inside it that I had to stop & walk the rest of the way home, where I collapsed onto my bed. Ugh. I really felt terrible. Hopefully this head cold will not be a long term thing and I can be back outside by the weekend. The weather is supposed to be in the 70's and I don't want to miss any of it ;)