"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Back out there

Being 38 years old has been very kind to me thus far.....





Knowing that I have a Half Marathon in just 111 days, running has been nagging at me in the back of my mind, but frankly, it's been the last thing I've wanted to do. I hate when I disappoint myself. I was doing so good, being consistent, then stop. The weather had been crap and I was feeling old & fat. This weekend's weather was SO.AMAZING! Husband had a meeting yesterday morning, so I decided to get off my lazy ass and go for a run. Putting on my shoes and getting dressed were the easy parts....walking out the door was torture! I wanted to lay face down on my couch, close my eyes and sleep for an hour....but knowing I had 4 kids scattered around various parts of the house, sleep was not going to happen until at least 10pm, so I got my ipod, water & tissue and headed out the door. My GOD it felt good to move! I was thrilled that first .86th of a mile...then the very strong urge to pee hit me. Hard. What the hell??! I ALWAYS pee before I leave the house! This urge would not go away. Then I realize what's happened: I turned 38 a week ago and suddenly my bladder has shriveled and I can't wait 45 minutes to go. I knew if I did not take care of business, this was going to be a miserable & long run. Lucky for me, I was running in an area that doesn't get much traffic plus has a lot of bushes (ummm, hi!?...can you say, SMART PLACE FOR A GIRL TO RUN ALONE..? Stupid.) Anyways...I did the deed (so much better!) and went on. I must say, this was not my finest 4.5 miles, but it wasn't bad considering the fat blob my body has become AND that I'm a WHOLE.YEAR.OLDer! ;)
I made it home, rested for a bit then took my 2 little ones on a 1 mile jog (their idea, not mine). I don't know what is happening to my body, but by the time I showered and went out with husband and some friends to dinner, my hips hurt so damn bad! Every step I took sent an excruciating pain into both hips, but the left one more so. They felt bruised and battered. By the time the night was over, I could barely lift my legs to step into the bath. OUCH! They still hurt today, but not as much now as they did first thing this morning. oh wait...I take that back. I just got out of the chair to yell at a kid and I felt like a 95 y/o granny hobbling out of the room. This is awesome. Running has been so amazing to my body {did you note the sarcasm?}
Obviously I didn't run today, but went frog hunting/hiking with the kids instead. Hoping tomorrow I will wake up and leap out of bed with no aches or pains and do a few miles before I get the kids out the door for school. One can wish...