"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

Friday, August 6, 2010

OUCH!!!

Since my 5 mile run on the treadmill the other day, I have had some serious IT band issues, down into my left knee. I was good at icing for that day & stretching, but as soon as it felt better, I slacked. So I got up this morning to do my run, feeling a little twinge in my knee, but deciding it was ok enough to run through. I felt pretty good heading out, as the air was not as hot as it normally is at that time,but there was the slightest chill in the air. I ran up Cheryl's Mt. Everest ;) & around the neighborhood...my senses being assaulted by cigarette smoke as I passed someone's backyard, enjoying their 6am smoke :/ Then I almost stepped on a dead pigeon AND got a face-ful of diesel fumes as some punky kid sped around the corner in his truck. Ahhhh...LOVE running in Vegas ;)
The whole time, I could feel the stretch in my upper thigh, annoying me to no end....shooting into my knee, but I hung in there & ran through it. By mile 4, my knee was on fire & I felt like I had lead in my leg. I was moving so slow, I may as well have been walking. BUT...I finished what I started. I ran 5.17 miles, only stopping to stretch my leg & knee when the pain was too much. :) I'm in agony NOW, but I'll ice today & stretch. I'm SO excited to attempt a trail run @ Mt. Charleston tomorrow morning...nothing is going to stop me from doing that. Even if I have to hobble through it (or have my dear, sweet friend carry me) ;)
Today is the kind of day that makes me love running....through sweat, pain & tears you just get out there and do it.