"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

4 miles

I did it! I was a little stressed last night thinking about how long it would take me to run 4 miles...surely foreseeing over an hour. Good to know it only took me about 48 minutes. Not great, but far exceeding what I thought my slow ass was capable of! It didn't help that the wind was blowing against me all the way back, so I felt like I was running extra slow. Not fun! I need to remember not to map runs that are one long continuous stretch of almost a mile & a half. Meaning, I ran one straight line for over a mile, and it felt like it was 6 miles...it was worse coming back! It is so much better for me {mentally} to have little stretches of side streets thrown in to break up the monotony. I did use my ipod today, which I'm not sure if I actually enjoyed it or not, but I guess it gave me something else to focus on besides my own breathing. I wanted so badly to cut my run short. My knees started hurting, which only started right after I did the mud run, my calves were hurting, but I was not PHYSICALLY unable to keep going. Once again, that's where my mental blocks come in. But I knew if I just walked home, I'd be really pissed all day, so I finished up and was not dying as I came into the house. Score! So happy I made it, and SUPER happy to be done for the day.
Note to self: May need new running hat. Noticed my shadow as I was running and saw that my head looked slightly cone-shaped. Damn hat. It IS the hat.....right?